August 11, 2012 4 Comments
Captain needs a new home, but because he is dog aggressive we cannot take him into rescue as all of our foster families have other dogs. He would need to be an only dog. Since he has not been on heartworm prevention and is an outside dog, he may have heartworms which are expensive to treat. It breaks my heart that he gets “smacked” and is not part of a loving family.
I have referred her to www.grreat.org and www.dvgrr.org.
We would hate to see this youngster end up as a bait dog or experimented on in some lab, if you know of anyone who might be able to take on Captain, please contact his owner.
2. Two years old on Nov. 5th
3. Male/Not neutered
4. Miranda Reyna
7. Chaptico, MD 20619
8. I am working full time and going to school and I just don’t have the time for a dog, especially because he has so much energy.
9. Latest rabies vaccination was on May 17th 2012. I don’t remember his latest distemperment shot, but I know he definitely had some as a young puppy. I can check out all of his medical records when the vet is open next week.
10. No heartworm prevention is currently being used, however, I have given him HeartGuard a time or two.
11. The only flea/tick prevention is in his shampoo. He gets bathed every few months.
12. No medical conditions except occasional ear infection from swimming in the pond. I have 2 different ear cleaners for him.
13. When it comes to food or territory, he is aggressive towards other dogs. After getting comfortable with them he seems to ignore them. He chases cats. He is good with kids, although he has a lot of strength and energy and can knock down a young child without meaning to.
14. He has only bitten another dominant, un-neutered male Golden because they had territorial issues. He has also tried to attack another dog because she ate his food. He has never bitten a person.
15. The vet recommends feeding him puppy chow 3 times a day. Sometimes he gets 1 large helping of adult dog food because of my busy schedule. He gets very anxious to eat and acts like he is starving. He has a slow feed bowl and if I make him sit and wait while I pour his food, that seems to help.
16. He is an outside dog and stays on a line for the first few hours of the day. Around 11AM he gets unleashed and he is able to run around the yard.
17. His favorite game is fetch, especially when you throw his toys in the water. He has a rubber log, an old softball that he’s obliterated, and a blue, Kong type toy. He has never been big into doggy treats. He also REALLY enjoys running. Most of the time he can entertain himself by running laps and laps around the house.
18. He does not have any fears, really. He does not like to be scolded or smacked, and will cower if he knows he’s done something wrong. Other than that he’s pretty much headstrong and thinks he can take on the world.
19. He does very well in the car.
20. He has been an outside dog for the past year. He will most likely need some slight re-training to have him fully potty trained again.
August 11, 2012 7 Comments