Top Ten Super Foods for Your Dog
Dr. Ernie Ward wrote an article for FETCH magazine which is a quarterly magazine for subscribers to PETPLAN insurance. He is a vet nutritionist and recommends feeding your dog the following foods weekly:
1. Fish – especially salmon, tuna, sardines and anchovies.
2. Yogurt- plain preferably organic and especially whenever your dog is taking antibiotics.
3. Chickpeas also called garbanzo beans are good for the heart, blood sugar and digestion.
4. Eggs – the BEST protein for your dog.
5. Quinoa – is loaded with protein and contains all 10 essential amino acids a dog needs.
6. Sweet potatoes – steamed or baked helps stabilize blood sugar and high in a number of vitamins and minerals.
7. Baby carrots cooked lightly if your dog won’t eat them raw.
8. Broccoli – high in sulfer compounds that help the liver and eyes.
9. Celery – has coumarin and flavonoids which supports the immune system and are currently being studied for their anti-cancer properties.
10. Apples and bananas – lots of antioxidants and vitamins.
I’m off to the store to stock up on sweet potatoes, chickpeas and quinoa as my pups haven’t been getting these items regularly.