Random header image... Refresh for more!

Home-Prepared Cooked Dog Food Diets

One of the most common mistakes that people make when feeding a home-cooked diet is the failure to add calcium. You must add calcium when you feed a diet that does not include bones.

Adult dogs need around 800 to 1,000 mg of calcium per pound of food fed. They also require the calcium to be supplied in a proper proportion to phosphorus.

The ideal calcium: phosphorus ratio in the canine diet is between 1:1 and 2:1. Meat contains a lot of phosphorus, so the more meat a diet contains, the more calcium will be required to reach the correct calcium:phosphorus ratio. Adding 800 to 1,000 mg of calcium will provide the correct calcium:phosphorus ratio even for a high-meat diet, unless you use a calcium supplement that also contains phosphorus. In that case, moderately higher amounts of calcium may be needed to balance out the additional phosphorus contained in the supplement.

Ground eggshell can be used as a calcium supplement. Rinse eggshells and dry them on a counter overnight, or in the oven, then grind them in a clean coffee grinder. One large eggshell provides one teaspoon of ground eggshell, which contains 2,000 mg of calcium, so add 1/2 teaspoon ground eggshell per pound of food fed. Don’t use eggshells that haven’t been ground to powder, as they may not be absorbed as well.

If you are interested in learning more about cooking for your golden send me an email johnsonpat@verizon.net as I have an ebook from Whole Dog Journal I can send to you as I used to home cook before we started feeding raw. (And will again if the raw diet doesn’t give Harry and Maddie allergy relief.)

62 comments

1 Barb { 06.01.18 at 2:40 am }

I am planning on switching my goldens from kibble to home cooked. Do you have any recipes that you would recommend? Also, I am very nervous that I will not balance things correctly. Can you give any advice?

2 pat { 06.07.18 at 8:43 am }

Use a base food such as Honest Kitchen and rotate what you feed to ensure your dog gets the nutrients they need

3 Feeding a Golden Retriever Puppy: Your Goldie Feeding Guide { 07.17.18 at 10:17 am }

[…] P., “Home-Prepared Cooked Dog Food Diets,” Golden Retriever Rescue of Southern […]

4 Tessa { 07.23.18 at 1:09 pm }

Hello,

We are from Maryland!! Our gr puppy is 14 weeks old. He is so wonderful. We want to switch him to homemade foods we he is ready. May you please share the ebook with us?

Thank you!

5 Poornima { 08.05.18 at 1:56 am }

I have a 6 month old golden and I want to give her the best food and want to try home cooked food. Please share your recipe

6 Simon { 09.02.18 at 9:50 pm }

Hi Pat thanks for sharing all above information. Just adopted my 2 years old Rusty, he seem healthy and happy at the moment but his hair is dry and dull and I don’t think just feeding fish4dogs are good enough for him. Would love to have the homecooked recipe pdf so that I can know what am I doing with home cook meal for Rusty! Thanks you

7 pat { 09.03.18 at 3:15 pm }

Email me and I can send you a couple of recipes and suggestions

8 Alizay { 09.23.18 at 4:13 pm }

Hello,
My dog is now 1.5 years old. He’s suddenly lost a lot of weight in last three week and has fever on and off. I have been taking him to vet but I live in Pakistan, the vets here are not as qualified. No one can figure out what’s going on with him. I am thinking to change his diet that could help him regain weight, can you please guide me?

9 Maria Visser { 10.01.18 at 7:51 pm }

Hoping to get some additional information about feeding my 4 year old golden home cooked food. Thanks for your help. Maria

10 Leslie { 10.10.18 at 5:18 pm }

Hi Pat would appreciate your recipes for home made dog food, I have two puppies

11 Adrienne { 10.14.18 at 3:29 pm }

I’d love to have The recipes!

12 pat { 10.15.18 at 7:33 pm }