Random header image... Refresh for more!

Home-Prepared Cooked Dog Food Diets

One of the most common mistakes that people make when feeding a home-cooked diet is the failure to add calcium. You must add calcium when you feed a diet that does not include bones.

Adult dogs need around 800 to 1,000 mg of calcium per pound of food fed. They also require the calcium to be supplied in a proper proportion to phosphorus.

The ideal calcium: phosphorus ratio in the canine diet is between 1:1 and 2:1. Meat contains a lot of phosphorus, so the more meat a diet contains, the more calcium will be required to reach the correct calcium:phosphorus ratio. Adding 800 to 1,000 mg of calcium will provide the correct calcium:phosphorus ratio even for a high-meat diet, unless you use a calcium supplement that also contains phosphorus. In that case, moderately higher amounts of calcium may be needed to balance out the additional phosphorus contained in the supplement.

Ground eggshell can be used as a calcium supplement. Rinse eggshells and dry them on a counter overnight, or in the oven, then grind them in a clean coffee grinder. One large eggshell provides one teaspoon of ground eggshell, which contains 2,000 mg of calcium, so add 1/2 teaspoon ground eggshell per pound of food fed. Don’t use eggshells that haven’t been ground to powder, as they may not be absorbed as well.

If you are interested in learning more about cooking for your golden send me an email johnsonpat@verizon.net as I have an ebook from Whole Dog Journal I can send to you as I used to home cook before we started feeding raw. (And will again if the raw diet doesn’t give Harry and Maddie allergy relief.)

22 comments

1 Kristi Taylor { 11.04.13 at 7:57 pm }

Pat..would love you to email me those recipes…for both the homecooked meals and the raw diet..breeze is loving these meals..but need more ideas

2 Michael Dwinnell { 03.28.14 at 4:58 pm }

Hi Pat ! Have 8 year old Golden and want to prepare him the best meals I can. I too would love to have a couple recipes !! Thank-you

3 Chef Maridee { 11.13.14 at 3:49 pm }

Thank you for sharing. I would love to have any information on recipes, raw, and cooked, allergy and non allergy. thank you so very much. You can see what we have been Blessed with now on Facebook “Malmberg’s Golden Memories” . I would like to start all families out with the VERY best of recommendations. We use a very high quality mail delivery dog food,that I spent years researching before purchasing any. I do want to learn more as in allergy symptoms, etc..
thank you, I look forward to hearing from you.

4 Sandeep Sharma { 01.04.15 at 3:14 am }

Hi Pat,
A happy new year.
We r vegetarians can feed eggs but want to avoid any meat meal for our GR. He is now 5 month 4day old. And we want him to live a healthy life. Pl guide what best we can do for him. I will be oblige if you can send some tips to pamper my buddy MAC.
Positively,
Sandeep Sharma

5 Isobel Robarts { 03.10.15 at 1:13 am }

Hi my4year old goldie weighs 39 kg and been on all kinds off diet foods (royal canine obesity etc) would like to cook her own food but not sure what to put in it ..please help!!

6 Lnassar { 05.18.15 at 12:17 pm }

Hi… we have a 6 year old over weight golden retriever, we feed him a mixture of home cooked chicken and vegetables, and taste of the wild dry food… what is the best food to feed him and the correct amounts in order to aid weight loss?

he is moderately active, with a 45 minute walk in the morning and he plays in the garden most evenings… your help would be much appreciated!

7 Robin { 11.10.15 at 7:09 pm }

I am interested in cooking for my 4 year old Golden Retriever. She weighs 70 pounds and is in excellent health. I want to keep her that way so I’m very interested in recipes and supplements that must be included in her meal twice a day.

8 Melissa { 05.15.16 at 12:54 am }

I would love to get the recipes for a home cooked diet for my dog. Thanks so much

9 Melissa v { 05.15.16 at 12:55 am }

I would love to get some home cooked diets for my dog thank

10 Lee Vollmer { 05.15.16 at 8:26 am }

I have a 97lb Doberman with allergy to storage mites. I can not feed him anything from a bag or box. I would like to cook for him. Can you suggest a diet?

11 Haytham Jaber { 11.22.16 at 1:14 pm }

Dear could you please send me the ebook you have authored 🙂

I really appreciate your help

12 Jayne { 11.27.16 at 12:20 pm }

Would love to have a recipe for a cooked diet for our Golden. She has skin issues but has gotten much better with a home cooked diet. I just want to be sure she is getting the proper vitamins etc.

13 Mo { 03.10.17 at 1:17 pm }

I’d love to have the recipes to cook for my two Golden boys. Many thanks in advance

14 Keith Clifford { 04.04.17 at 4:35 pm }

Hi Pat,
Would love to have recipes for our 1 yr old golden. Want to give her only the best,She’s the joy of our lives.

15 Keith Clifford { 04.04.17 at 4:38 pm }

Hi Pat, Would love to have some recipes for our I yr old Golden. She deserves the best. She’s a beautiful girl.
thanks, Keith

16 debbie aguinaga { 04.25.17 at 2:58 pm }

Hi..I would love to receive some receipes for our golden. shes put on a little weight and i just dont trust the dog food manufactures. my vet told me to start cooking for her. thank you

17 pat { 04.26.17 at 5:39 pm }

Email us at contact@goldenretrieverrescueofsouthernmaryland.org and we can share an ebook. Would recommend you use a base mix such as Honest Kitchen’s Preference and add protein as instructed on the box. (You can also add other stuff.)

18 Praki { 05.23.17 at 12:06 am }

Hi,
My golden is 11 months old. Can you please advise me if I can prepare his food at home.
As of now I am feeding him the dog food 2 times a day & a few biscuits. He loves yogurt, milk & fruits too.

Please advise

19 Eliza { 06.18.17 at 8:58 pm }

Hi Pat
I have an 8 year old Golden Girl. Could you please email me a good home cooked recipe for the worlds fussiest eater.

Thanks!

20 Lisa { 06.30.17 at 6:03 pm }

Hi,
Getting a GR puppy next month and want to feed him healthy food. After researching kibble and raw diets and home cooked diets I am overwhelmed with options. Your cookbook sounds awesome! Thanks

21 Joseph { 08.10.17 at 8:28 pm }

My golden just had mass cell tumor removed and would like to cook her home made food.any advice or recipes would be appreciated.She is doing well but was picky with her food. I just want to keep her going the right way thanks again for any help peace and wisdom

22 Farah Powell { 08.14.17 at 5:13 pm }

Hi,

How much home made food mixed with dry food (for a 3 month old puppy) should you feed them? I’m having difficulty figuring out the right amount to feed my pup. We have transitioned to two a day feedings. Any tips who be appreciated.

Farah