Random header image... Refresh for more!

Mometamax warning

I know that Golden Retrievers often experience ear problems, so I thought I would post this account about my recent scary experience with the ear medication, Mometamax.

Fred was on a 10-day course of Mometamax for wax and inflammation in his ears. I never take or administer any medication without first reading all the fine print, so I noted the warning that Mometamax can cause deafness or hearing loss in some dogs. It concerned me, of course, but since Fred’s ears had been examined before we started the drug, I knew that his ear drums were in tact and therefore tried to dismiss my worries. He also had his teeth cleaned 3 days after starting the Mometamax, and while he was anesthetized, they once again examined and cleaned his ears.

I had begun to notice that Fred seemed vaguely disoriented and not quite himself midway through the course of Mometamax, but I thought he might be reacting to the trauma of the teeth-cleaning, so I just watched him carefully. In most ways, he seemed fine. I couldn’t put my finger on what seemed wrong about him.

Three days after the final Mometamax treatment, we called Fred’s name to head up to the house from the barn after feeding the horses. Fred was, as usual, waiting in his dog bed in the tack room. He didn’t react at all to his name. We started calling him louder and louder, and he still didn’t react. For a very bad moment, we thought he was dead. When I touched him, however, he jumped up, ready to return to the house with us. Instantly, I remembered the warning on the Mometamax and realized that he was totally deaf.

I ran to the house and reread the Mometamax fine print to see whether there was any protocol for treating hearing loss, caused by the drug. It was past midnight, so I was on my own. The fine print recommended flushing the ears with nonotoxic ear wash, so I did that twice with Epi-Otic, although I worried that so much time had elapsed since his last Mometamax dose it might be hopeless. We tried various tests (saying Fred’s name without moving or giving him any other cue and calling him from other rooms), and he seemed to be able to hear if we spoke loudly enough.

In the morning, I called the vet to report what had happened and find out whether there was anything further I could do. His recommendation was that we wait several days before flushing Fred’s ears again or putting anything at all in them. Meanwhile, Fred has shown convincing signs that he can hear, although I’m not sure whether he’s got the stellar hearing he had before this happened. He does seem to be improving, though.

Sooooooo . . . here’s my 2 cents: watch out for Mometamax and take that warning about hearing loss very seriously. It’s one thing to have a dog lose its hearing due to old age, but quite another to believe you have done something to CAUSE the hearing loss. I’m tremendously relieved that Fred appears to be recovering.

425 comments

1 Hillis ray moore { 05.10.17 at 12:44 am }

Hello ray again I wrote the above and just wanted to say that my dogs hearing began to reappear . I am so happy to report this. I hope it will be ok now.

2 pat { 05.10.17 at 7:42 pm }

YAH Ray! So glad for you and your pup.

3 SHARON { 06.06.17 at 3:09 pm }

my dog went deaf from Mometamax

4 Karen M { 06.13.17 at 12:25 am }

Our dog became totally deaf after 3 days of using Surolan ear drops. I looked it up online, and that is listed as a possible side effect. He is a Chihuahua, and it is making him very nervous not to be able to hear anything. We have been flushing out his ears since we realized that he was deaf yesterday. I will file a complaint about this medicine with FDA. He was such a happy dog previously! And understood so much of what we say. This has been heartbreaking.

5 pat { 06.16.17 at 6:01 pm }

I’m sorry Karen.

6 Stacey Hill { 07.13.17 at 8:12 pm }

I havent seen a post in a while, but my Boo is going through this now. American Eskimos dont usually get ear infections, but lately she has gotten a couple due to a bath getting water in there or whatever. My 13.5 yr old pup has always relied on my voice, she knows many, many words and has always looked at me, while I was talking, as if I was saying the most amazing things (as she turned her head back and forth). A week ago she was shaking and scratching her head so I thought well, she probably has an infection again so I will put some drops in. Im bad about following through on medications, even my own, but I thought, ok, shes getting older, lets do this right. SO I read the label and it said once a day for 7 days, ok got it. Interestingly enough, before I did the drops, I was looking on line to see the anatomy of a dogs ear and while I was looking at the pics, in the corner of the screen there was an ad that said “Could those drops be making your dog deaf” and I ignored it….. Well, day one and two we did drops, skipped 3 did 4 and on 5 she was deaf as a door knob!!! Went to the vet on day 6 and started a cleanse; every other day for 4 days then go back to the vet in a week after the 4th cleanse. After the 2nd cleanse, I had almost given up because she absolutely hates me messing with her ears at this point. However, last night there was a glimpse of a response and just now as I LOUDLY called her, she came. One more cleanse tomorrow and hopefully start the steroids and we will wait. The thing that bothered me most was that for her, this was/is terrifying!!! She could not understand why my mouth was moving and no words were coming out, it was like I was playing a bad joke on her. She knew things like, “Wheres Dad” or “Wheres your Grandmother” she would go on an all out search to the front door back door and around again looking for whomever I asked her about. She knew when I was talking about her to someone else, would come and stare at the phone so she could hear the other person talking about her and would end the conversation with a kiss to the phone and then run off. She even know when I am calling the food delivery guy, waits at the door and knows he is here before I do! SO when she was shivering in fear on the second day of no hearing, I could hardly take the lack of control I had at that point to fix this for her. An acquaintance of mine, who happens to be a vet didnt really like that I posted this article on Face book to be spread, but I told her if I hadn’t researched it, I wouldn’t know that there is a possibility to reverse it with a cleanse and a few steroids. So now I am sharing this story hear and telling anybody I know, don’t use Mometamax because these “rare” occurrences sure are adding up here!

7 JCG { 07.16.17 at 12:03 am }

Please read this before you give these ear drops to your animal. Our little Jack Russell terrier was prescribed this medication June 7, 2017 from Banfield in Hermitage, they said she had a yeast infection in her ears. We returned home and proceeded to instill 8 drops every 12 hours for 10 days. We STOPPED after about 2 or 3 after Daisy was not hearing nothing!
Weโ€™re filling an FDA Report Form FDA 1932 (7/16) come Monday morning.

8 pat { 07.16.17 at 9:50 am }

Flush her ears a lot and we’ll all pray her hearing comes back.

9 TJ { 07.21.17 at 1:49 am }

My 13 yr old Schipperke Zoe is now deaf as well. I noticed something wasn’t right on the 3rd day. She wasn’t responding to me even when I said the word treats. By day 5 she was totally deaf. I looked up this Mometamax and seen where it said on rare occasions can cause deafness! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Called my vet right away to let them know and I also made it know how upset I was that they did not warn me about this SEVERE SIDE EFFECT. Her response was ” We can’t go over all the side effects of all the medications, that would take to long” My response was ” You could at least GO OVER the SEVERS side effects, we’re not talking about an upset stomach or diarrhea here!” She said “But it’s really rare” I said “But it does happen so why wouldn’t you no matter how rare?” Seriously how long does it take to spit out a few words of warning! Then at this point it it up to us, the owner, to decide if this is a chance we want to take. And they just blow it off like it’s no big deal. Where’s the empathy? I wanted to ask her that if her Dr. prescribed her a medication for ear a problem and she went deaf from it if that would just be OK that he didn’t tell her that it was a possible side effect since it was really rare! I am really starting to wonder if these vets nowadays even really care for the animals or are they just in it for the money too like the drug companies. They both like to charge a lot for sure. I will be following up on this more too. From what I have read, if Zoe doesn’t start to get better soon, the chances are slim. Even at her age her hearing was excellent before this. Good luck to all of you and I hope all your fur babies get better.

10 pat { 07.22.17 at 11:13 am }

Hope Miss Zoe’s hearing returns soon.

11 Sandy { 07.28.17 at 1:16 pm }

I have an 8 month old Chow Chow who is just a fantastic little girl.
She started shaking her head about a week or so ago and scratching at her ears. I made an appointment with the vet thinking she could possibly have an ear infection. The vet didn’t see an infection however; she prescribed Mometamax, saying she could be starting with one and thought we would get a jump on it. After being on the medication for 4 days, I noticed she could not hear me. I called the vet, but she did not return my call until the following afternoon. In the meantime, I had given her another dose of the medicine. By day 5 she was completely deaf. The vet made an appointment for me to bring her in a few days. She acted like this is not a big deal. What is she thinking? I am now trying to reach another vet to get her in sooner.
In the meantime, I started looking online for anything I could find regarding Mometamax when I came across this site.
I am beyond angry and feel absolutely awful for my pup. I can only hope that she regains her hearing over time however; I feel this product should be taken off the market. Why are vets still prescribing it?

12 pat { 07.29.17 at 11:48 am }

Hopefully with thorough ear rinses your pup will regain hearing.

13 Meg { 09.15.17 at 6:29 pm }

My 11 year old pug had exceptional hearing and was prescribed this medicine. After 2 days she was nearly completely deaf – she could only hear high pitch, very loud noises. It’s been almost 2 months since this and her hearing has improved slightly…it improved a couple weeks after it happened but I haven’t noticed continued improvement since. She still can’t hear unless I speak very loudly and even then, I’m not certain how much she can really understand. Pugs are famous for tilting their heads and I get very few head tilts these days. ๐Ÿ™ The vet called Merck and they said the same thing I’ve read..in the rare case this happens, 85% get their hearing back (though I’m not sure if this means fully or not…). I wish I had been warned or that doctors wouldn’t prescribe this to senior dogs. If anyone has any recommendations or good news, let me know.

14 Meg { 09.15.17 at 6:56 pm }

I haven’t seen anyone say they had full recovery from hearing loss due to Momentamax, though Merck says of those that experience hearing loss, 85% get their hearing back. Does anyone have any info about this or has experienced full recovery? Thank you!

15 Linda weilert { 09.18.17 at 1:31 am }

I’m so upset! I couldn’t understand why my 12 year old healthy lab Riley suddenly went deaf.. now I do! It’s called mometamax. I can’t believe this drug is on the market. The vet says this “is rare” however after reading this and other sites, it isnt! I’m praying that my girl will regain her hearing. She has never had a hearing issue in her life and now my husband and I feel so responsible for her complete deafness. Anyone our there have this situation when their dog did regain their hearing? How long did it take? Thank you , linda

16 Linda weilert { 09.18.17 at 1:35 am }

Btw, I will also be filing a report with the FDA tomorrow. I took Riley into vet on Friday and they flushed her ears.. they said I can flush her ears again but I don’t want to irritate or make it worse. I just want her to hear again !!

17 pat { 09.19.17 at 4:42 pm }

I’d flush more.

18 Julee { 10.22.17 at 11:48 pm }

Our family member Benji was prescribed Mometamax for an ear infection for both ears. He is 12 yrs old day 6 of the medicine he went totally deaf. I found a website and called Merck who called our vet. It will be 2 weeks on Monday and he still hasn’t heard anything. I feel horrible . I hope he regains some of his hearing and pray they take this drug off the market

19 pat { 10.23.17 at 3:53 pm }

I’m sorry for your poor pup. Teach hand signals so you can communicate with him.

20 Jody { 10.29.17 at 10:07 pm }

I can not believe what I’m reading on here. I have a little different situation, but I’m extremely worried. I have a 14 year old Lhasa. I noticed in the past couple weeks that she was not responding to my verbal commands. She could not hear me. I took her to her vet and they said she had a lot of yeast growing and actually pulled some out. After testing, they said she also had bacteria growing. She was prescribed wide spectrum oral antibiotics, steroids for swelling and mometamax. I put one gooey drop in each ear as prescribed. After two days I found this sight. I put panicked. Although she already could not her. Her hearing loss came on quickly. I stopped her oral steroids yesterday because of her profuse water drinking and urinating. The poor little thing was up and out every 20 minutes all night. What a disaster! I will be calling her vet in the morning. Im not sure of what to do about her yeast and bacteria in her ears. As I said above, her hearing is the reason I took her in. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

21 pat { 10.30.17 at 8:32 am }

Over the counter Zymox treats yeast and bacterial ear infections and costs about $20 a bottle. Tresaderm is a prescription for yeast and baytril for bacterial infections

22 Ricky { 10.30.17 at 3:03 pm }

This is so sad for me to read that this medication has been in the market for years and causing such pain to our pets. It’s 10/3017 and i just experienced the same story as others. I am currently in the waiting period to see if my Louie can regain his audio back. What I am learning is that the Mometamax is a standard cookie cutter medication that is given to any dog.

23 pat { 10.31.17 at 8:22 am }

It is a standardly prescribed med. You have to ask for something that does not cause hearing loss.

24 Cole { 11.15.17 at 11:55 pm }

I’m one of those pet owners people call paranoid because i research EVERYTHING before giving it to my dogs. Well, this time I decided to “stop being paranoid,” and gave my girl, a Siberian Husky, mometamax (She had an infection in both ears). She is now completely deaf!! I did nothing different but administer this drug, so using my logic, I decided to google “mometamax deafness dogs” and found this page.

Based on what I have read, I flushed her ears with epi-otic and will be calling the vet tomorrow.

25 Che Harris { 11.20.17 at 10:00 pm }

Our vet gave Mometamax to treat our 12 year old boston terriers yeast infection in her ears. After about five days we noticed she wasn’t hearing very well. We thought maybe here ears were just healing. After the 7th day of taking the medicine and her hearing getting worse we stopped the 14 day treatment that the vet put her on. We went to another vet and he told us that this medication could cause deafness in dogs. He also told us that there’s a good possibility she could get her hearing back in a couple weeks. It’s been 2 weeks and she still can’t hear. This infuriates me why a vet would give this to an animal knowing it could cause deafness. This is ridiculous. Our family is devastated.