Random header image... Refresh for more!

Mometamax warning

I know that Golden Retrievers often experience ear problems, so I thought I would post this account about my recent scary experience with the ear medication, Mometamax.

Fred was on a 10-day course of Mometamax for wax and inflammation in his ears. I never take or administer any medication without first reading all the fine print, so I noted the warning that Mometamax can cause deafness or hearing loss in some dogs. It concerned me, of course, but since Fred’s ears had been examined before we started the drug, I knew that his ear drums were in tact and therefore tried to dismiss my worries. He also had his teeth cleaned 3 days after starting the Mometamax, and while he was anesthetized, they once again examined and cleaned his ears.

I had begun to notice that Fred seemed vaguely disoriented and not quite himself midway through the course of Mometamax, but I thought he might be reacting to the trauma of the teeth-cleaning, so I just watched him carefully. In most ways, he seemed fine. I couldn’t put my finger on what seemed wrong about him.

Three days after the final Mometamax treatment, we called Fred’s name to head up to the house from the barn after feeding the horses. Fred was, as usual, waiting in his dog bed in the tack room. He didn’t react at all to his name. We started calling him louder and louder, and he still didn’t react. For a very bad moment, we thought he was dead. When I touched him, however, he jumped up, ready to return to the house with us. Instantly, I remembered the warning on the Mometamax and realized that he was totally deaf.

I ran to the house and reread the Mometamax fine print to see whether there was any protocol for treating hearing loss, caused by the drug. It was past midnight, so I was on my own. The fine print recommended flushing the ears with nonotoxic ear wash, so I did that twice with Epi-Otic, although I worried that so much time had elapsed since his last Mometamax dose it might be hopeless. We tried various tests (saying Fred’s name without moving or giving him any other cue and calling him from other rooms), and he seemed to be able to hear if we spoke loudly enough.

In the morning, I called the vet to report what had happened and find out whether there was anything further I could do. His recommendation was that we wait several days before flushing Fred’s ears again or putting anything at all in them. Meanwhile, Fred has shown convincing signs that he can hear, although I’m not sure whether he’s got the stellar hearing he had before this happened. He does seem to be improving, though.

Sooooooo . . . here’s my 2 cents: watch out for Mometamax and take that warning about hearing loss very seriously. It’s one thing to have a dog lose its hearing due to old age, but quite another to believe you have done something to CAUSE the hearing loss. I’m tremendously relieved that Fred appears to be recovering.

424 comments

1 Sarah S. { 11.30.14 at 5:19 pm }

I did some reading up on the vestibular disease and the different form but not sure that’s what she has. She doesn’t have the nystagmus or turning of circles. The head tilt seems to be on so unless this is just the beginning of it might be something else. Since she was put on tresaderm when we stopped using the Mometamax, I haven’t seen her really tilting her head. She has seemed to have lost of her hearing since we initially started using Mometamax. Since we stopped using Mometamax and had switched to Tresaderm (already completed this treatment a couple weeks ago)she doesn’t trip over her feet as much as she use to but still does a couple times a day and still hasn’t recovered any of her hearing back. Hoping that with more time, her hearing will return. Right now we just have to physically touch her to get her attention.

2 Joanne { 12.05.14 at 12:31 am }

Let us know how she does, Sarah. I’m hoping for some good news about her hearing recovery.

3 Rich { 12.09.14 at 4:12 am }

i was prescribed this medication on the December 6 and before i went to use it i recognized the Merck name and knew id read something about the name before but couldn’t remember if it was good or bad, so i looked up Mometamax and found this thread. i will not be giving it to them, even though they are only 3 years old and 3.5 years old.The 3.5 yr old has the yeast infection in his ear I refuse to put my dogs hearing at risk. so we are using a 50/50 split of white vinegar and water. i had it out with the vet i saw at the clinic as it wasn’t my normal vet there that day. he tried telling me it is the least harmful of the ear drops for dogs for treating this type of infection

4 Joanne { 12.09.14 at 8:09 am }

Well done, Rich – and good to know that this thread may have spared a couple dogs hearing loss.

5 Rich { 12.09.14 at 7:22 pm }

i did take back the Mometamax to the vet for a full refund, i had opened the box but after the vet said to return it as long as it is not opened i could get a refund, so i put a spot of glue on the flap of the box and closed it ,i will also be sharing this link with all my animal advocate crossposter friends on Facebook, i’m sure there are people that don’t even realize it was this medication that has harmed their pets hearing

6 pat { 12.10.14 at 7:41 am }

Rich I use Zymox which is an over the counter drop for my pups’ yeasty ears. Tresederm is a prescription med for yeast. Glad you checked before using.

7 Heidi { 12.13.14 at 9:36 pm }

I noticed over the course of a week that Terrence, my Boston Terrier, wasn’t hearing me very well. Not deaf, just a noticeable difference. One of the vets in the clinic I use examined his ears on 12/6/14 and diagnosed a yeast infection in the right ear. I was sold a bottle of Mometamax (us$44.80/15mg) and a bottle of EpiOtic ($19.90).

(I hate this practice of vets prescribing meds and then filling the prescription. It’s a total conflict of interest. Yes, you need more expen$ive prescriptions…trust me.)

Dr. J prescribed a “small amount” of Mometamax to be squeezed into each ear, one time per day. He administered the first dose himself that day (Saturday). On Sunday morning, I squeezed a “small amount” (whatever that is) into each ear. All day Sunday, I noticed Terrence wouldn’t listen to me at all. He has a vocabulary of about 30 words, and even the big ones (treatie, ride, car, walk) got no reaction. By Sunday night, I felt relief because he was suddenly hearing and reacting to my words again.

On Monday morning I put in more than I had the day before, because I was confused about the dosage and thought more might be better. Monday night, there was no return of his hearing. I thought it was just blocking his ears or something. Maybe I had used too much? On Tuesday I used a lot less, but still he could not hear me when I got home that night. So I searched for Mometamax dosage online.

Then I found this site.

I could not believe it. My heart sank and I got frantic. I got the bottle of EpiOtic and flushed out his ears. The next morning, Wednesday, I did not apply the poison. I called Dr. J and told him what was going on and what I had found online. He had me bring T in so he could exam him and flush his ears. Of course when I told him about what I’d read online, he dismissed it. Since I had mentioned diminished hearing as the symptom that made me examine T’s ears and bring him in in the first place, he opined that he was probably losing his hearing before he came in, although at only 9, it would be a little early. He said he knew it was a possible, but rare side effect and they had never had a dog lose his hearing from it (that they know of!!) in the years they’ve been prescribing Mometamax .

He went on and on about how the people who complain about this are confusing the normal onset of deafness with a possible reaction to the medication. He showed me a diagnostic book which explained that Boston Terriers are prone to congenital deafness. (I’ve since researched this, it has nothing to do with this situation. Some Bostons, who have a lot more white markings are born deaf because the gene for the white coloring is linked to deafness.)

I’ve been a mess all week. Because he responds to commands so well, I usually walk T off-leash, but on Monday night he ran away and I had no way to get his attention. When I tried to run to him, he ran away, like we were playing. He actually ran across a pretty busy road, just following our normal route, and the only way I got him to stop was when he ran up to someone and I asked them to grab him.

This truly sucks. I suddenly realize how much I talk to my dog, and how much he actually responds to my words. That’s all gone now.

I filed an adverse reaction report on the FDA website on Wednesday evening.

I called Merck on Thursday and spoke to Dr Lynda Erday. She said the medication may have knocked some debris from the yeast infection into the ear canal, occluding it. She said 80-90% of dogs get their hearing back and the sooner it starts to return, the more likely they are to get it back. She asked me to call her every 3 weeks to update her on T’s condition, sooner if he improves, and that she was going to call my vet that day. I haven’t heard anything from my vet’s office, not surprising since Dr J also said he would call me with any info he could get about hearing loss in BTs, but never did.

When I came home from work Thursday night, Terrence seemed to respond when I whistled or clapped loudly. Definitely could not hear words. Last night (Friday) when I got home, I knew for sure he could hear the whistling and clapping, and maybe even some loud yelling, but he seemed very disturbed by the sounds and started shaking every time I would make loud noises to get his attention.

Today he definitely hears the loud noises, but I’m not sure about much else. I’m so used to the Boston Terrier head tilt in response to the importants words. This changes everything. I understand the idea that it’s easier for him to adjust to it than it seems, but that only satisfies my brain. My heart doesn’t get it. All I can do now is hope.

I can’t believe how long this thread has continued with no changes to how this medication is dispensed. At least warn dog owners before you dispense it so they can choose if it’s worth it to risk deafness when there are other options available.

I’ll keep you posted.

8 pat { 12.15.14 at 6:55 pm }

Keep flushing your pups ears. Perhaps hearing will return. Always a good idea to read about a med before administering it as ear drops aren’t the only meds I’ve taken back to the vet’s office after going online to read about side effects worse than the problem the med is supposed to treat!

9 Heidi { 12.18.14 at 9:15 pm }

This is the response I got from the FDA. I’m amazed at how personal it is!!

Thank you for contacting the US Food and Drug Administration. Your MedWatch report dated December 11, 2014, was forwarded to the Center for Veterinary Medicine by the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. We are sorry to learn about your dog’s hearing loss.

The information in your report will be added to our veterinary adverse drug event database. Your information will add to our body of knowledge about Mometamax.

We appreciate your willingness to send us your information. We know this is a difficult time for you, so we thank you for your time, great effort, and care in sending us your report about your dog’s hearing loss.

10 Rich { 12.21.14 at 2:51 pm }

thanks Pat for the info about Zymox ear cleanser and ear solution, had to order it from the USA as it is not available in Canada. so i researched it and couldn’t find anything bad about it, in fact i couldn;t find out why it isn’t available in Canada, so i ordered it online and had it sent to my dads who lives just across the border by about 20 minutes, so i started giving it to my Joey on Friday Dec 19 and 2 days later he is already showing signs of feeling better, not head tilting due to his ears bugging him, thanks :}
P.S. Joey says thanks too

11 pat { 01.20.15 at 3:15 pm }

Please add Surolan to the list of meds to treat canine ear infections that can cause hearing loss. After specifically refusing ottomax and telling the vet (not my regular vet) no thanx due to possibility of hearing loss, the vet gives me Surolan. When I get home and read the insert of adverse effects hearing loss is one. GRRRR

12 Joyce { 01.28.15 at 10:18 am }

Please, everyone whose dog has experienced deafness due to Mometamax, call and report this to the company. They say deafness is rare because people and vets are not reporting it. You can look up Mometamax on the internet and it gives the official company site and contact information. If everyone reports it, deafness would not be a “rare” side effect. The company is then required to report it to the FDA.

13 Heidi { 02.01.15 at 11:33 am }

I’ve had good contact with Merck about the problems my dog has had. They call me every few weeks to follow up, and I think it’s a great idea to keep them informed about the problems (both long and short term) that their product causes.

Just a follow up, I’d say Terrence is back to 85-90% of his hearing. Not comfortable saying 100 because I’ve never had his hearing tested and I’m not sure if there were times he couldn’t hear some things before, but there definitely are those times now.

I was so depressed when this first happened. It was great to find this board, but I really wish more of the posters would follow up on what has happened with their dogs. It’s important for anyone who comes after me to know that your dog will probably get its hearing back, but that you should be prepared for possible partial or total loss. And call Merck!! (800-224-5318)

14 Jorry Tommy { 02.03.15 at 1:59 pm }

Joyce Thanks a lot for your kind information. I have to make a report .

15 teresa { 02.21.15 at 6:21 pm }

I am SO glad i found this thread, although it makes me very sad to read about all your heartaches with this medicine! I have a 1 year old rescue pitty mix, that I took to the vet this week for another issue. This vet has taken over a well established practice in our town and works with our local animal rescue. I saw an assistant vet on the day I took Chanel in, she (the vet) gave her a rescue check up and checked her ears and wanted to prescribe Mometamax 30 gr. I did not have her ears cleansed that day nor did I take the prescription as I wanted to research online. I am very picky about what I want done to Chanel and wanted to review this medication and decide if there was a more natural way to treat her. Thank you for sharing your stories and heartbreak. Now I now for certain I will NEVER give this to my darling Chanel. She is the love of my life and my therapy pet (I have an autoimmune disease). I am horrified this vet would prescribe such a medication and I will be telling them about what I found.

16 Joanne { 02.21.15 at 10:47 pm }

Teresa, good for you! My purpose several years ago for starting this thread was to spare others the scare and heartbreak caused by this drug, so I am so glad that, at least in one case, it worked. Thanks for letting us know. Chanel is a lucky dog to have found you.

17 Carl Parmer { 03.02.15 at 12:03 pm }

Please add my name to the list of dog owners who think Merck. should be held responsible. My white westie has been through the deafness (almost total), but after several weeks seems nearly back to normal. I will join all of the others if some class action is available to stop the Merck sale of this devastating product. They don’t have the integrity to post bold warnings on the package, but hide behind one short paragraph in the fine print. My dog forgot to read that. In a phone conversation with Merck, the lady said they comply with the F.D.A. , but that doesn’t make it right. Let me know if anything else is moving forward to stop this abomination.

18 Carl Parmer { 03.04.15 at 1:28 pm }

I have heard from Merck who called me and myVet. I am getting the contacts at FDA, and will submit a strong protest against this product. If other will join in, the real numbers of problems might get someone’s attention. My Email is included if others want to join the communication effort. Thanks for your available information and effort. Carl Parmer at parmerdude@gmail.com

19 Joanne { 03.07.15 at 12:55 am }

Thanks, Carl. If it’s possible to refer the FDA to this thread, perhaps one of the administrators can confirm email addresses for those who have reported deafened dogs. I’m a little shy about providing my email address, but I’d sure be willing to join the effort to curb this drug.

20 Shari { 03.08.15 at 4:16 pm }

My healthy vibrant intelligent Pom-a-poo, Zoe Bon-Bon (12 yrs old) became completely deaf after I administered Posatex (Merck) per our vet’s instructions. I had requested a Rx for Tresaderm because I had used that in the past and had successful results. The Tresaderm had been prescribed by a different vet who retired. The new clinic told me they do not dispense that but have another drug that works great. I completely trusted their advice and never thought to research it online. We reported this side effect to the vet who consulted with a board certified dermatologist to find out if a course of steroids would be recommended. Ours is the first case of reported deafness with Posatex to this vet clinic. The vet also contacted Merck and we have been given a case number and Merck said they will reimburse us for a consultation with a neurologist. I will be making phone calls and appointments tomorrow. It has been one week since we ceased the medication and yesterday she seemed to respond to a loud whistle. However she didn’t know where it was coming from. Today she doesn’t respond at all. Our vet said to do daily ear washings that I have faithfully done and she intends to call us tomorrow for an update on Zoe. She said Merck is aware of this side effect and that hearing returned anywhere from 3 e days to 3 months in 80 percent of the cases. My feelings and story mirror all of the other posts on this site. When I am heartbroken I reread the posts where dogs have regained hearing. I understand smell is a more valuable sense to a dog….but the thought of her never hearing my voice again breaks my heart. We have names for all of her stuffed toys which she can retrieve with a voice command. We also have a lake home and allow her a lot of freedom to run to the beach and are always able to call her and have her come running back to us. I am so angry that Merck is allowed to manufacture these drugs. Does anyone know the similarity between Posatex and Mometamax?

21 Joanne { 03.08.15 at 11:44 pm }

Shari, I’m heartbroken for you. Every one of these posts breaks my heart, although, like you, I am heartened that so many of the dogs have recovered some of their hearing. I just hope that Zoe will recover hers. Please let us know.

I don’t know anything about Posatex, but Pat might. She’ll probably post, if she does. We’re all trying to curb the use of these drugs. Meanwhile, I am vigilant to the brink of insanity doing preventive ear care on my dogs.

Best of luck to you and Zoe!

22 Karen { 04.01.15 at 5:19 pm }

**read further down to learn about 2 things I did that may have contributed to restoring my dog’s hearing.
My 13 1/2 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with a double ear infection (both ears) in early March. She was prescribed Mometamax/ 4-5 drops in each year for 2 weeks. Although my geriatric dog has bad hips, her hearing was 100% PERFECT prior to using the Mometamax. She could hear a pin drop. Like many of you have reported, by the end of her treatment with Mometamax, I realized something was very “odd” and “off” about our dog. At first I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was wrong – until it hit me – oh my god – our dog is deaf. 100% deaf. While standing behind her, we could scream her name at the top of our lungs, and she couldn’t hear a thing. We could bang pots and pans next to hear while she was sleeping, and she wouldn’t flinch. We were devastated that this medicine caused this complete hearing loss. Check out the Mometamax Information/Drug page published by Merck – under the warning section it says “The use of these components has been associated with deafness or partial hearing loss in a small number of sensitive dogs (eg, geriatric). The hearing deficit is usually temporary. If hearing or vestibular dysfunction is noted during the course of treatment, discontinue use of MOMETAMAX Otic Suspension immediately and flush the ear canal thoroughly with a nonototoxic solution.” Unreal!!! It makes me sick that our vets are prescribing this for our geriatric dogs. We’ve been heartbroken that our vet didn’t warn us about this before treating our 13 year old “geriatric” dog with Mometamax. Three days ago (2 weeks after she finished her two week course of treatment ), we took her to the vet to discuss the fact that she is now deaf. I questioned my vet, which didn’t get me very far (another story for another time – he was very defensive and insisted the deafness was not caused by the mometamax – what a joke). I asked my vet to flush her ears out with Oti-Clens (a tip I read on this site); he declined saying it was pointless as the mometamax was long gone from her ears. During this appt with the vet, my dog received her customary monthly azium injection (azium/dexamethasone is a steroid injection that we use to treat inflammation/pain associated with her bad hips). Around 11am, when I brought her back home from the vet, I took things into my own hands and immediately flushed her ears out with Oti-Clens. By 7pm, she was responding to sound. She went from being completely deaf for 2 weeks, to now being able to hear some sound!!! When we called her name while she was sleeping, she opened her eyes and picked up her head. Time and time again, our hearing tests were working. I can’t say whether the change came from flushing her ears with Oti-Clens, or from the azium steroid injection – maybe it was a combination of both. But one or both were definitely responsible for her ability to hear again. I am keeping my fingers crossed that her hearing restores itself completely. Wanted to share this info immediately in case it can help any of you.

23 Karen { 04.01.15 at 5:24 pm }

Woops – forgot to include the link for the Merck drug page for Mometamax in my post directly above:

24 pat { 04.03.15 at 7:59 am }

Super!

25 Shaer { 04.08.15 at 5:40 am }

I just came back from the Vet with a prescription of Mometamax. Thankfully I read this blog. I DID NOT use the drug on my Porti’s ears because of what I read. I want to thank you for maybe saving my beloved dogs hearing. I am going to ask the Vet if she would use this on a child’s ear to see what she would say!!!!!!

26 pat { 04.17.15 at 10:47 am }

Shaer….I recently was prescribed Ottomax for one of my dogs and had the conversation with the specialist vet (not my regular vet) and insisted on one that did not have the potential to cause hearing loss. He gave me another product. When I got home and looked it up it too, can cause hearing loss. Since the vet was 2 hours away, I just tossed the drops and used Zymox which is OTC and works fine.

27 LisaT { 05.22.15 at 7:53 pm }

I will add my girl’s issue to the blog. She is a young small 18 pound dog, about 3 1/2 years old. She does have an inflammatory condition that causes collagen loss and the vet should have never even considered this for her. When the vet said she had a yeast infection, I guess I assumed they gave her something just for the yeast – she didn’t need the antibiotic or the steroid. I should have stuck with the zymox, which I had previously used with success.

My girl suffered hearing loss that I noticed at about day 3, though I didn’t realize what was happening until about the day 5 dose. I had just administered that day’s med when I found this blog. Thank you everyone for posting your experiences!

Last night, and this morning, I flushed my girl’s ears out with preservative free saline solution that I use for my eyes. After reading what other people posted, the saline solution seemed to be very helpful. Last night she didn’t even hear me open the cheese in the kitchen, and this morning she didn’t hear the clicks I made with my mouth. This afternoon though she heard the clicks and even whined when I put on the car turn blinker – I was so relieved! I don’t think she’s 100% yet, but hopefully I caught it early enough for her to recover, and I just feel that the saline solution helped. I hope she fully regains her hearing.

Best thoughts for everyone here, it’s heartbreaking to watch this happen to them. The vet’s instructions were to give an liberal amount for 14 days. What a disaster.

28 Andrea { 06.23.15 at 10:31 pm }

My 12 yr old miniature labradoodle has gone completely deaf suddenly from the use of Otomax, we too are devastated and wish we knew before it was too late. Fortunately my vet is very empathetic however, I wonder how many of us are in this so called ” rare side effect of deafness”. I’m seeing it seems to be more common than not. Very sad in Ontario……

29 pat { 06.24.15 at 8:26 am }

We are sorry Andrea. I’ve learned to go home and read about the side effects of any meds I give my pup or my family before administering.

30 Shelly { 09.11.15 at 10:30 pm }

Our 14 year old Schnauzer mix lost most of her hearing 24 hours after her first dosage of Mometamax. Our vet has since examined her ears and reports that everything appears to be normal. This claim that hearing loss only occurs when there is damage to the ear drum is simply false! We are so sad that our otherwise incredibly healthy dog (act more like a 5 year old) is now suffering like this!

31 Joanne { 09.13.15 at 11:35 pm }

I feel for you, Shelly, and I hope she recovers some of her hearing in time, as some others have done.

Everybody spread the word to avoid this drug!

32 Kelly { 09.14.15 at 9:26 pm }

I’m sick to see all these entries! Like many others, I began research AFTER my dog lost his hearing, directly post treatment with Mometamax. My 11 year old Golden Retriever is in great shape otherwise and had a minor ear problem for which we received a prescription. My daughter thought he was selectively listening to us, as older dogs are sometimes prone to do. But he ALWAYS came running for food or treats. No longer. I am taking him to the doctor’s tomorrow to see what, if anything, can be done. I am hopeful that he will regain some hearing, even if only partial. I absolutely feel like vets should be more aware and advise pet owners of the risks or use other types of treatments.

33 Lisa K { 09.19.15 at 12:07 pm }

After reading all the comments in regards to Mometamax causing deafness in their beloved pets, my precious 12 year old German shepherd Abby has fallen victim to this horrible medication. Even though I only administered it into her right ear, she doesn’t hear me at all. It’s been 6 weeks and when I took her back to the Vet’s office and spoke with her Vet (she was seen by another vet at the time she had the infection) he said he would of warned me what the medication can cause deafness. I was so pissed that the first jerk of a Vet didn’t share this information with me. Abby also suffers from degenerative myelopathy and having recently loss her companion of 12 years (our other german shepherd) she is very depressed. I feel horrible that I gave her this drug. My vet told me not to flush her ears. He was going to contact the company and would get back with me. After 2 weeks of waiting, no reply so I contacted his office and was told that Merck was a large corporation and it takes time for them to respond back. I want to flush her ears but don’t know if it will do any good since it’s been 6 weeks since I applied the medicine into her ear. Any suggestions?

34 pat { 09.20.15 at 9:02 am }

Flush her ears repeatedly.

35 Liz { 10.04.15 at 10:03 pm }

My 11 year old American Eskimo, with perfect hearing, had a yeast infection in both ears in February and was treated with Mometamax and afterwards had limited hearing. I went back to the vet who said the hearing loss was due to old age. He had another yeast infection 6 days ago and was given the same medicine. I gave it to him for 5 days and he is totally deaf. I read these blogs and am sick!!! I called the vet emergency number since it is Sunday. They told me the hearing returns in all but 1% of the dogs. What if mine is the 1%!!! This is unacceptable. Why wouldn’t the vet warn of possible hearing loss???? I would never have given it and to think that I put these drops in his ears that made him deaf brings me to tears. I will be into my vet tomorrow and calling others for opinions.

36 Charlie { 10.13.15 at 10:29 pm }

I just got this drug from the vet. The vet administered the first dose while there, then mentioned that it can cause hearing loss. Not feeling good about what the vet said I started reading about this and found this blog. I have washed out my labs ears and will do so and will surely not put any more of this medication in his ears.

37 Liz { 10.14.15 at 5:53 pm }

It’s been two weeks since my dog went deaf. I had him into the vet on the 5th of October and the vet sedated Juneau and flushed his ears. He is still deaf. He might hear you if you stand in front of him and scream his name or make an extremely loud noise. But he’s not sure what he heard or where it the noise came from. I’ve also contacted Merck and they are aware of the issue of deafness and took all my information and made a “case”. Big deal. My vet, Merck, and other vets I’ve contacted said there is nothing that can be done especially if they sedated him and flushed the ears. Just wait and if his hearing isn’t back in 3 months then it probably won’t come back. He is such a smart dog and you can just carry on a conversation with him and he understands. Now he can’t hear a word. This is heartbreaking. I’ve spread the word as much as I can to everyone with a dog and surprisingly some who have had deaf dogs in the past have looked at past medications and have been given mometamax. Why isn’t this poison off the market???!!!

38 pat { 10.19.15 at 8:01 am }

I’m sorry Liz.

39 Jack K { 10.20.15 at 12:42 pm }

I cannot believe it’s 2015 now and this drug is still pushed by the vets without any warnings of possible deafness. Our 3yr old silver lab started to scratch his ears, so thinking he might have an ear infection, we took him to our local vet. They determined he had a mild ear infection and they prescribed Mometamax (6 drops) and Pharmaseb Flush to be applied on a daily basis for about 10-14 days. My wife and I noticed our lab was experiencing hearing issues on day 4, and he seems to be completely deaf today, which is day 5 of applying this poison. Once we started to look for side effects on the internet, we were both shocked that the vet did not mention these very dangerous side effects of the drug. Our lab was born blind, so we would never even think about taking such a high risk as he completely depends on his hearing and sense of smell to get around. I brought our dog into the vet office this morning for an emergency visit, I was told by the doctor that this is only a 2nd case in a decade she’s heard of a dog losing his hearing after applying Mometamax. She made it sound like this wasn’t a big deal as she prescribes it daily. She flushed his ears with saline solution and has done a laser treatment and prescribed Prednisone (steroid) to lower the inflammation in his ear/nerve. It makes me sick to my stomach that they did not warn me of these very serious side effects and that he could now be permanently deaf! I’m not a sue happy person, but in this case, if his hearing does not come back, I will look into it. I’m so sorry to hear about other dogs who have lost their hearing to this dangerous drug. I will also make a post on my Facebook to warn other dog owners. This drug should be banned and vets needs warn their customers.

40 Donna { 10.25.15 at 7:52 pm }

I started to research this medication too late like many of you. My 12 year old Cockapoo is completely deaf after using Otomax for a week. She had used this before with no problems so I never thought to look into it. I’m sick over this and blaming myself. I have read that some of your dogs did have some hearing return so I am praying for the same for mine. I stopped Otomax yesterday and used a rinse today. I will try anything at this point to help her regain her hearing. I am so angry that this garbage is still sold.

41 Liz { 12.10.15 at 9:49 am }

I wanted to give an update on my dog who lost 25% of his hearing in February after being on Mometamax and never regained that. The end of September he lost 100% of his hearing after being put on it again. After a month he could hear a loud clap or his name if you yelled it but could not understand a word we were saying. After two months, basically overnight after major praying, he was able to hear us and understand us and his mood greatly improved. He had been very down and depressed. I would say that 60% of his total hearing is back. He still cannot hear a single sound if we are behind him and doesn’t hear us come in the door if but if we are in front of him he hears and understands us and is much more his old self. I will take the 60% hearing over nothing!!

42 Raven { 01.15.16 at 10:29 pm }

My dog went suddenly and completely deaf right after her teeth and ears were were cleaned while under anesthesia. We’ve never used mometamax in her ears.
I googled sudden deafness in dogs and found this article that states that general anesthesia combined with teeth or ear cleaning has been known to cause deafnes: http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/Sudden.htm

“General anesthesia may cause bilateral deafness from unknown causes. In rare cases, animals awaken from anesthesia deaf in both ears, often following ear cleaning or teeth cleaning. It may be the case that the body shunts blood away from the cochlea during anesthesia to protect other critical organs, or that pressure or jaw positioning compresses the arterial supply to the cochlea.”

I wonder if this may have played a part in your dog’s deafness along with the mometamax.
My dog was completely deaf for over 6 wks. She didn’t hear her squeaky toy right next to her head. I started using all hand signals and created several new signals. One day while petting her I massaged her gently behind the ears like I’ve always done. She moved her ear in a funny way. Even though she couldn’t hear I continued to talk to her. Well after that little massage she looked at me- she heard her name! So now she hears just fine (selectively). Our vet theorized that the little, behind the ear massage, got the blood flowing to her cochlea.

43 Joanne { 01.16.16 at 11:20 am }

Thanks for this very helpful tip, Raven. Even if it doesn’t work for all stricken dogs, it will at least provide distressed dog parents with some way of doing something to help, perhaps. Seems like this advice and theory are well reasoned.

44 Laura { 01.19.16 at 2:12 am }

Hi Joanne, I can’t believe the comments – going on 6 years now since you posted! My mom’s dog has partial hearing loss from Mometamax. I am deeply saddened. He’s a bichon frise, only 8 years old.

I would like to start a petition on Change.org. This petition would be sent to the FDA’s Director of the Center for Veterinary Medicine, as well as multiple Senators that advocate for companion animals. If we can spread the word, we can get people to sign the petition and urge them to submit adverse reaction reports to the FDA about these drugs that have harmed our pets.

When I have the petition ready to go, would it be okay with you if I come back here to post the link to it? I really want to change this! Our pets should not suffer any longer because of this drug.

The side effects listed include: “All aminoglycosides have the potential to produce reversible and irreversible vestibular, cochlear and renal toxicity.” Vestibular = loss of balance, cochlear = ear/hearing loss, and renal = kidney failure. The FDA can determine that the risks outweigh the benefits of the drug, and that even with warning labels, companion animals are not adequately protected. The FDA can pull approval for a drug at any time if they determine the risks outweigh the benefits. I think that collectively, everyone that has commented on your post has the potential to change things and put a stop to these harmful drugs. I hope you’ll help me promote this petition! I am going to work on it all week.

45 Joanne { 01.19.16 at 7:32 am }

Please do post the link, Laura. I’ll promote it on FB, too, if you don’t mind, and I think other GRRSM members would also help to share it via social media. Great idea!

46 pat { 01.19.16 at 8:53 am }

That would be great Laura.

47 Kirk { 01.22.16 at 12:59 pm }

Our 8.5 year old yellow lab Moose lost about 85% of his hearing due to a 7 day dosage of Mometamax. We were so upset and angry. After we realized it we started researching and found all the bad news. We did flush his ear once on the day after his last application of the ear drops.

I have read on this blog mixed reviews on whether to just flush his ears once or to do it once a week or everyday?

His last application of the medicine was on 1/19/16. We are praying his hearing comes back and we are so upset that we didn’t research this beforehand.

Any suggestions on the ear flushing frequency?

48 Mary O { 01.23.16 at 4:02 am }

1/7/16 Madison had some tan goop on her ear. I told my husband Chris to mention it to the vet tomorrow at her annual check up. 1/8/16 he asked the vet to check her ears. The vet tech took a swab of both ears, Madison jerked her head. Vet looked in her ears and said that both ears looked good, but one was a little pink. He told her that was the ear that Madison moved when the tech was swabing. Madison is 12 years old. She has never had an ear infection. She did not have any hearing issues. She heard perfectly. Most of the time we call her by simply making a psst noise. When my husband was paying the bill the vet intern came out with a box, he said it was for Madison’s ears. My husband asked if she had an infection. The intern said not really, this is just to be safe. Intern told him to use 8 drops in each ear, once a day, for 1 week. 1/9/16 we started the Mometamax ear drops as directed. On Friday 1/15 Madison was asleep by the door and didn’t hear us come home. We thought she was just sleeping soundly. Saturday she seemed lethargic. Sunday 1/17 she wasn’t listening when we called her. We realized that she was completely deaf. She was sitting between my feet and I screamed her name but she didn’t respond. I went online and found out that a lot of other animals have gone deaf using Mometamax. I called Merck, they were closed for the weekend, and Monday they will be closed for Martin Luther King Holiday. We read the warning paper in the prescription box. It said to flush her ears out. We went to the pet store and bought Nutri pet ear wash. We flushed out her ears 2 minutes on each ear, gave her 2 – 25mg Benedril and rushed to Emergency vet. She checked Madison. She said this is a known rare side effect. She prescribed Prednisone steroid twice a day for 3 days, then once a day for 3 days, then 1/2 pill for 3 days then 1/2 every other day for the rest of the 4 week period. She recommended that we do not use any more ear wash, just give it time to heal, and it may take a few months. She said they would fax a report to our vet and we should call our vet to follow up. We called out vet on Monday, she said they use Mometamax all the time, and she has only heard of animals going deaf two times. We told her we would call Merck on Tuesday. She said to let her know how Madison is doing on Wednesday. She said she may want to change the course of the medication. 1/19 I called Merck and Spoke to Dr Sylvester, got a case # & gave her permission to talk to my vet. Dr Sylvester said that 80 percent of animals recover. I was very upset to learn that no one is keeping track of the remedies or solutions that worked in the 80 % of animals that recovered fully. 1/20 I spoke to my vets office and they said after speaking to Merck, my vet agreed that Madison should be on the 5 day cycle of Prednisone instead of the 3 day cycle. I also called the FDA and left a message. I read online that people have been reporting deaf animals from Mometamax since 2010. I want to know what is being done to stop this. Maybe vets need training on what animals are at a greater risk for loosing their hearing. I think that someone should be keeping a database of successful treatments to help more animals make a full recovery. 1/21 I called Merck again because I read online that another case in 2011 also said that 80% of animals recover. I wanted to know if this is the stock answer or if more research has been done since 2011 to increase the odds that Madison will hear again. I also wanted to make sure I was not missing out on a critical window of opportunity to expedite Madisons recovery. Dr Sylvester was out today so I spoke to another doctor. I explained that I did not want to wait 6 weeks and then find out that I could have, or should have done something differently. She assured me that we were doing everything right and unfortunately we can only follow the vets instructions and wait. I called the FDA again and left another message. I strongly encourage anyone affected by Mometamax to contact Merck co 800-224-5318 and get a case documented. Then contact the FDA & fill out Form No. 0910-0645 Veterinary Adverse drug Reaction / Lack of Effectiveness or Product Defect Report. The form has to be sent in the mail. You can also call the FDA and leave a message 888-463-6332 or you can email them AskCVM@fda.hhs.gov. I want everyone in the world to be aware of the devistating effects we experienced from this medication and I would like some assistance on the collected data to give Madison the most successful chance of recovery. We are praying that she will recover. Thank you

49 Be Aware of The Risks When Treating Your Dog with Mometamax – Deaf Dogs Rock { 01.24.16 at 7:51 pm }

[…] For more comments from dog owners about the adverse side effects of Mometamax please click here to go to the Golden Retriever Rescue of Southern Maryland. […]

50 Be Aware of The Risks When Treating Your Dog with Mometamax – Deaf Dogs Rock { 01.24.16 at 7:51 pm }